- Open your Gmail application, then press the menu button of your device, and then find "Settings" from the menu that opens.
- You should now see a dull screen with just "General preferences", your email address, and an "Add account" option. Click on your email address.
- Click "Sync inboxes and labels", then find the label for which you want to select a special notification tone and click on it, then select "Sync last 4 days".
- Now return back by one menu, locate the "Labels to notify" option and click on it.
- The label you just selected to sync should appear there, with notifications set "Off". Click on the label.
- A new window opens. Check the "Email notifications" checkbox and the option to choose a ringtone becomes available! Now choose a tone that you wish would play when you receive an email that matches the label. You may also untick the "Notify once" checkbox to get a separate notification for every email instead of just the first one since the last time you read your mail. Then click OK and then return to the app or exit it.
- The next time you receive email that matches the given label, your phone will emit the sound you just chose. :)
First, locate the settings of the Gmail app:
Then click on your account (blurred in this picture):
Now click Manage labels:
You'll get to this view where your labels are on the left and the settings on the right. Click the label for which you wish to set a custom tone -- here I've just picked "Starred". Set Sync messages to "Last 30 days", then make sure Email notifications is checked. You'll probably want to uncheck "Notify once":
Now click Ringtone and you can select the notification tone for these kind of email messages: